.ECO domains have no registration restrictions; anybody may register a .ECO domain name.
However, before a .ECO domain name can be used on the web, the registrant must affirm their commitment to environmental action by creating an Eco Profile. Registrants who create an Eco Profile will be offered free membership in the .ECO Organization, which confers registration eligibility to the registrant.
The .ECO registry also grants eligibility to entities belonging to any of the categories:
- Not-for-profit mission-based organizations that work for the good of the planet.
- Businesses who provide products and services that encourage positive environmental change.
- Government bodies that support sustainability through programs, infrastructure and funding amongst other policies and actions.
- People who support environmental change through membership, financial support, or volunteer work, and professionals whose work contributes to positive environmental change.
- Farms and agricultural producers that meet EU organic production and labelling standards.
More information on .ECO eligibility requirements can be found in the .ECO registry’s Eligibility and Eco Profile Policies.